September 28, 2009

a special baby


What a day. Thank you for so many sweet comments on facebook and via email. I thought this would be the best way to let everyone know what is going on with our Luke.

On about day 4 of life we discovered a blister that had popped on Luke's heal. We thought it was possibly from the heal prick they do in the hospital, and that it had just blistered. Within about 24 hours, we started noticing blisters pop up rapidly on his hands and toes. After 3 pediatrician visits and 3 dermatologist visits, Luke has been diagnosed with Epidermalysis Bullosa (EB). It is a skin disease that he will have for the remainder of his life. You can google it if you want, but in a nutshell there are 3 types of EB ranging from mild to severe and Luke's is most likely somewhere in the middle. His body was not formed with the "bonding agent" to hold the layers of skin together like most people have. How did he get it? Either Greg and I carry the recessive gene (that we don't know of) or it was by chance that a cell mutated in the womb and left that certain gene out. If this is the case...the chances were about 1 in 100,000. God has a plan...He has to.

Greg and I will be doing genetic testing to see if we carry it. If so, Luke will most likely be an only child as we would not want to put future children through this. This is a lot to digest at the moment. Luke will be a special needs baby...anything that causes friction to his skin can cause a blister. (playing sports, instruments, crawling, etc) As of now, the blisters do not cause him pain unless they pop and raw skin is exposed and rubs on something. It is hard to keep a newborn 'still' :) Greg and I are learning how to care for the blisters...keeping them wrapped up and covered. (thank goodness cool weather is coming!) He also has a few in his mouth and throat but they don't seem to bother him. (the feeding issues are coming from tummy pains)

Today the dermatologist at Texas Children's did a biopsy of a blister on his elbow to determine the exact form of EB that he has. We are hoping it is more mild than they think it is. I have to brag on the little guy...with a needle of local anesthesia, biopsy, and 2 stitches, HE DID NOT CRY. yes, our 3 week old did not cry during all that...yet cried while the doctor looked at the blisters and during a diaper change! My first thought was that God was holding him during the whole thing being the Great Physician He is numbing the pain. He is home sleeping soundly now with a little red bandage wrapped around his 2 stitched in his elbow.

As Greg and I were leaving the hospital, it only took us seeing one other child with way more severe special needs to realize we have it good. So good. No one wants to watch their baby go through this. We are sad for him...that he might not have as much opportunity as other children, but thankful it's not worse. He is a fighter already and we love him so much. This is his normal...a new normal. Who knows...maybe he will prove us all wrong and get better! There is always hope.


11 comments:

  1. OH Melissa. I am so sorry that this is happening. I will most definitely be in prayer for you, Greg, and sweet Luke.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sulli and I are lifting your whole family up in prayers. Melissa, speaking from someone who is not yet a mom...you are an inspiration to me because I am watching you go through this and I am in awe of your strength, wisdom, and above all love. Little Luke could not be any luckier to have you as a mom and I hope I have the wisdom and love that you have one day!

    Love you,

    Bunch

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you so much for updating us all on your sweet little Luke! The Hansberger family will keep you in our prayers! We pray that God will give you strength to stay strong for your little man as well as give you peace. I love you so much and are thinking of you! Lots of love coming your way!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Melissa. . . you are incredible! The Lord placed Luke in the PERFECT family with the PERFECT Mom and Dad! What a blessing your family is to others! I am on my knees in prayer for you as you have to wait on so many tests and answers. The Lord's timing and will are perfect and he does have a plan. Your faith and devotion to your family is amazing and I love you! I cannot wait to meet sweet Luke! PS what an incredible name. . . Dr. Luke from the Bible. . . God is good!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Melissa and Greg,

    I am praying for you and your sweet baby boy. I was reading in Luke a few nights ago (coincidence?) about when Gabriel came to tell Mary she was going to have a baby. When she asked how on earth that was possible, Gabriel told her not to worry because with God, all things are possible. God might have given you something that seems impossible, and in our efforts, it is. But with Him and through Him, anything is possible. I know that you will be given the grace, patience, commitment, and knowledge to handle this. We are praying for you and we love you!

    Love,
    Tamara

    ReplyDelete
  6. Melissa - God has a plan and Luke was meant to have you as a mother and Greg as a father. I know you both will be incredible parents to him and he will grow up knowing you and the Lord LOVE him!! I have a rare blood condition and grew up a sickly child - my parents were my rock and they were so great taking care of me and all the hospital and doctor visits. As long as my parents were positive and calm, I was too. :) It sounds like you and Greg are doing all the right things and having faith in God’s plan for Luke.
    We will continue to pray for you and don’t hesitate to contact me if you need anything.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Melissa I am sending lots of prayers your way! It was so great to see you and meet Luke yesterday. You are doing a great job as mommy! Luke is so lucky to have you as parents. God has placed him with the best caretakers! Just remember that God is your rock through all of this. Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I came to your blog via Tamara's blog. Our 10 month old son, Sam, was diagnosed with a devestating heart condition when we were 20 weeks pregnant. While our boys have different conditions, I can sympathize with the feelings of saddness over the 'loss' of a 'normal' family life. But the one thing we have truly learned through all of this is God DOES have a plan. Luke was given to you because YOU were the only two who could care for him the way God intended. I have found much comfort in sharing Sam's story, reaching out to others with similar conditions, and finding a way to show others God's amazing plan and love as it relates to Sam's life. It's hard not to think about the future, but we have also learned to live for today. God's grace will carry you all though, and Luke's life will touch many. You will all be in my prayers!
    Kathy Wimberly

    ReplyDelete
  9. Melissa,

    I am most definitely praying for you! I think you wrote it perfectly when you said this is Luke's normal. A new normal. My mom went through that exact same grief and new hope and transition about 35 years ago when my sister was born. She has often said that same phrase. You are living your normal.

    I am praying for you!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Jenna Wroblewski HermanOctober 6, 2009 at 5:21 PM

    What a beautiful outlook you and Greg have! I admire your ability to see and rely on God's almighty plan even in response to some very tough news! I will be praying for you two and little Luke! Hang in there you three! By the way, Luke is adorable! Love in Him- Jenna

    ReplyDelete
  11. Melissa and Greg,

    I came upon your blog from Tiffany Carroll. I also went to Baylor with her and went to high school with her husband.

    I wanted to let you know that our friends and next door neighbors have a sweet boy, Xander, who is 8 and living with JEB. I didn't know what resources you had out there but if you wanted to talk with someone or email with someone who has been parenting a child with EB for 8+ years, they would be fantastic to talk to and I'm happy to connect you. I can tell you that Xander is a happy kid who loves life to the fullest! He is an only child as both parents carry the recessive gene.

    I wanted to let you know that I will be praying for you 3. Luke is a beautiful boy!

    God bless you all,
    Jenifer Johnson

    ReplyDelete